I'm starting my Keto Diet journey today, August 1st, 2018. I'm using the OPTAVIA weight loss plan to jump start it.
Background information:
I got my colon and rectum removed in September 2016, followed by a second surgery in November 2016, which is almost 2 years ago. I weighted 135 at the time, which is a good healthy weight for me (I'm 5'6"). I dropped down to 112 pounds at my lowest. My diet was very restricted in the beginning (low residue) and I needed to follow that for the first year. Then I slowly started introducing fresh fruit and vegetables. These are the restrictions I still have:
1. No beans of lentils.
2. No cruciferous veggies: cauliflower, cabbage, bok choy, or brussel sprouts.
3. Corn and popcorn in moderation. No mushrooms.
4. Dairy in moderation (it causes gas). I drink almond milk instead of dairy milk. Yogurt is OK, and cheese and butter are okay in moderation.
5. No fruit skins. Okay fruit: melons, bananas, peeled apples, peaches, and pears. I'm allergic to tropical fruit, so no coconut, pineapple, kiwi, or mango (except canned). Berries in moderation (strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry).
6. Whole grains, seeds, and nuts in moderation. Okay to have, but need to chew them well. It's best to avoid nutty breads, quinoa, and brown rice.
Why are I doing this?
My first year after my surgery, I slowly regained my weight and was able to fit back in my regular clothes, which was about a size 4 or 6. I should have just maintained my weight after that, but instead I continued to eat a high carb and high sugar diet, in addition to alcohol, and late night binge eating of snacks. My doctors were happy that I was at a healthy BMI of 21. A score of 19-25 is considered a healthy weight. After a year of continuing this crummy diet and lifestyle, I'm not 155 pounds with a BMI of 25. If I gain anymore, I will slip into the overweight category. I decided I need to do something about it. I'm giving myself 3 months (Aug, Sept, Oct) to change my poor habits. My goal is to be 135 pounds by November 1st, which is 1.5 pounds a week.
Background information:
I got my colon and rectum removed in September 2016, followed by a second surgery in November 2016, which is almost 2 years ago. I weighted 135 at the time, which is a good healthy weight for me (I'm 5'6"). I dropped down to 112 pounds at my lowest. My diet was very restricted in the beginning (low residue) and I needed to follow that for the first year. Then I slowly started introducing fresh fruit and vegetables. These are the restrictions I still have:
1. No beans of lentils.
2. No cruciferous veggies: cauliflower, cabbage, bok choy, or brussel sprouts.
3. Corn and popcorn in moderation. No mushrooms.
4. Dairy in moderation (it causes gas). I drink almond milk instead of dairy milk. Yogurt is OK, and cheese and butter are okay in moderation.
5. No fruit skins. Okay fruit: melons, bananas, peeled apples, peaches, and pears. I'm allergic to tropical fruit, so no coconut, pineapple, kiwi, or mango (except canned). Berries in moderation (strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry).
6. Whole grains, seeds, and nuts in moderation. Okay to have, but need to chew them well. It's best to avoid nutty breads, quinoa, and brown rice.
Why are I doing this?
My first year after my surgery, I slowly regained my weight and was able to fit back in my regular clothes, which was about a size 4 or 6. I should have just maintained my weight after that, but instead I continued to eat a high carb and high sugar diet, in addition to alcohol, and late night binge eating of snacks. My doctors were happy that I was at a healthy BMI of 21. A score of 19-25 is considered a healthy weight. After a year of continuing this crummy diet and lifestyle, I'm not 155 pounds with a BMI of 25. If I gain anymore, I will slip into the overweight category. I decided I need to do something about it. I'm giving myself 3 months (Aug, Sept, Oct) to change my poor habits. My goal is to be 135 pounds by November 1st, which is 1.5 pounds a week.
Comments
Post a Comment